How to Celebrate Earth Day from Home
We may be stuck inside during the COVID-19 pandemic this year but we can still find ways to celebrate the planet on April 22, 2020. Here are some things you can do:
- You can plant a small garden or add more green to your space. Plant some flowers near your window or even a small herb garden of vegetables like basil or parsley.
- Take a walk around a park or neighborhood and take photos of plants near you while practicing social distancing. Then you can look up the plants you photographed and learn more about them.
- Refresh your recycling knowledge. Sometimes those bins can be confusing. What goes where? What is considered compost and what isn’t? Taking time to relearn recycling can help save our planet.
- While stores aren’t open, you can shop online or in your grocery store for more sustainable products. This includes clothes made from recyclable materials or package free toiletries.
- Watch a documentary about our Earth. Netflix has a documentary category with many nature, wildlife and conservation related content! It could be stress relieving and relaxing to be reminded of earth’s beauty during this time.
- Time at home means more time to look up at the stars. Take some time to stargaze, especially now that air pollution is currently low. Earth Day also coincides with the peak of the Lyrid meteor shower.
- Take a virtual field trip with your family. You can search for a video of a tour of any national park, botanical garden or even the Great Barrier Reef.