If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (724) 498-4747

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What is Mulch Fungus and How Do I Get Rid of It?

7/9/2020 (Permalink)

White fungus growing in mulch Keep your mulch dry most of the time and you can avoid the unsightly problem of mulch fungus!

You bought a fresh layer of mulch this summer, pruned and watered your landscaping, and now you have found this gross, ugly white stuff growing in your mulch. As far as you know, your dog has not thrown up in your mulch recently – so what is it?

It’s mulch fungus, or more colloquially known as “slime mold” or “dog vomit.” It is often lumpy, and brightly colored in appearance such as yellow, white, black, brown, orange, or even bright pink in certain cases. Unfortunately, it can strike just about anywhere you have spread mulch.

Mulch fungus grows best in damp conditions as bacteria starts to feed on the mulch. Once fungi can feed on bacteria, they grow, create spores, and eventually turn into visible patches.

Although mulch fungus is unsightly and unattractive, it is not a serious problem. Luckily, it poses little threat to your plants and landscaping since it feeds on bacteria and is usually limited to a small space.  

Even though it poses little threat, you should probably still get rid of it. It is safe to touch, but you will probably want to get a shovel to dig it out. It is important to dig out a few inches around the patch to eliminate the unseen spores. Otherwise, you will find yourself with another patch in a matter of a few days to a week. Make sure to dispose of the mold in a trash can or compost pile far away from any mulch. Spores can travel through the air and you may find unwanted mold in a new place.

Preventing mulch fungus can be tricky at times. If there is a lot of rain, there is no need to water your flower beds. Letting a sprinkler water your flower bed all day can create the perfect environment for mulch fungus. Instead, use a watering can or hose and try to water as close to the roots as possible. Rather than watering plants every day, give them a significant amount of water once or twice a week.  

If you find yourself with too much water in a place you don’t want it, or mold inside your home, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Lawrence County. We are trained water and fire restoration experts and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Call us today for more information! (724) 498 4747

Connect with us on Facebook

Other News

View Recent Posts